Atlanta Police Prepared for Independence Day Festivities
ATLANTA – The Atlanta Police Department will be highly visible throughout several Independence Day events on July 4 from the Peachtree Road Race in the morning to closing fireworks at night.
Officers will be working 12-hour shifts to help secure events and assist with traffic flow. A Joint Operations Center will be open at Public Safety Headquarters in partnership with other local, state and federal agencies coordinate responses and monitor events, including live feeds from APD’s Video Integration Center.
Event participants, city residents and visitors should be mindful of street closures surrounding some of these events, as well as increased traffic. The department urges participants to take MARTA, cabs or rideshare services due to limited parking and to relieve traffic congestion.
Additionally, participants are reminded to not leave any items of value in their cars, should they choose to drive. Anything left in a car - from electronics and firearms to cash and purses or wallets – are subject to theft. The department also encourages anyone who sees anything suspicious, such as an unattended bag, to immediately call 9-1-1 so it can be checked out.
For the race, beginning Thursday, July 4, Peachtree Rd between Lenox Rd around Lenox Pkwy will close at 3 a.m. All other closures around the start will occur at 4:30 a.m. on the morning of July 4 with the entire course closing at 5:30 a.m. The race will draw large crowds and cause traffic congestion due to road closures. Following the event, all roads are expected to reopen by noon.
Also, there will be fireworks at Centennial Olympic Park in Downtown and Historic Fourth Ward Park in the Old Fourth Ward. The celebration at Centennial Olympic Park will begin at 6 p.m. and end at 11 p.m. In Historic Fourth Ward Park, the event will start at 5 p.m. and end at midnight.
"The Fourth of July and the Peachtree Road Race are synonymous with Atlanta," said Atlanta Police Chief Erika Shields. "We want everyone to have a safe and happy time celebrating the festivities. Our officers will be highly visible among the crowds and stand ready to protect."
Listing of Road Closures
Thursday, July 4 at 3:00 a.m.
- Peachtree Road between Lenox Road around Lenox Pkwy
Thursday, July 4 at 4:30 a.m.
- Peachtree Road from Lenox Road to Peachtree Dunwoody Road
- Around Lenox Road from Peachtree Road to Lenox Road
- Lenox Road from Peachtree Road to Ferncliff Road
- Buckhead Loop from Peachtree Road to GA 400
- Phipps Boulevard from Buckhead Loop to Wieuca Road
- Wieuca Road from Old Ivy Road to Roxboro Road
- Roxboro Road from Kingsboro Road to Peachtree Dunwoody Road
- Pritchard Road from Roxboro Road to Oak Valley Road
- Lakeside Road from Pritchard Road to Kingsboro Road
- Kingsboro Road from Roxboro Road to Lenox Road
- Oak Valley Road from Peachtree Road to E. Paces Ferry Road
Thursday, July 4 at 5:30 a.m.
Entire course will close at 5:30 a.m. Only official vehicle traffic will be permitted along the course. City of Atlanta Police officers and volunteers will assist pedestrians crossing the course but once the main start occurs at 7 a.m. this will be difficult.
Tuesday, July 2 – Thursday, July 4
- 10th Street from Charles Allen to Monroe Dr.
- Closed - July 2 ‐ 9:30 a.m. ‐ 3:00 p.m.
- Re‐opens - July 2 ‐ 3:00 p.m. ‐ 7:00 p.m.
- Closed July 2 ‐ 7:00 p.m. ‐ July 4 ‐ 3:00 p.m.
- Re-opens - July 4 3:00 p.m.
- 10th Street will close from Myrtle to Charles Allen on July 4 at 3:00 a.m.
- Monroe Drive will close between Virginia Ave. and Kanuga St. at 6:00 a.m. on July 4 and will remain closed until noon.
- Peachtree Place will be closed from Peachtree St. to West Peachtree St. at 8:00 a.m. on July 4 and remain closed until noon.