Auto Thefts-Zone 3
Area: Zone 3
We have seen an increase in auto thefts.
· “never” leaving the vehicle keys in the car while the car is unattended
· if your vehicle becomes disabled, do not leave it on the side of the road. Tow as soon as possible.
· parking vehicles close to your door so you can keep an eye on it
· installing alarms (flashing LED lights inside may help), tracking devices, ignition kill switches, fuel pump kill switches, steering wheel locks or locking bars
· be alert for wreckers which could be improperly taking vehicles in order to recycle (call 911)
· not leaving valuables in your vehicle which draw perpetrators to your vehicle
· report any suspicious activity to 911 immediately
The most common vehicles being stolen are Dodge (most are older model vehicles).
In Zone 3: we are seeing multiple vehicles being taken from the Metropolitan Parkway corridor, Forest Hills Dr. apartments, Cleveland Ave. apartments, McDaniel St. apartments, and Moury Avenue. We see most of them taken after dark. We will be conducting extra patrol in these areas and enforcing curfews. The police will also utilize bait cars—this will not be the show where the suspects get on t.v.