Car Accidents 

What should I do if I’m involved in a car accident?

  • Citizens involved in car accidents should exchange information including:
  • Driver’s license number
  • Vehicle license number
  • Contact information (home addresses, telephone number and email address)
  • Vehicle insurance 
  • Traffic collision location ( cross streets, address or street names)
  • Accident time

How do I contact the police after the accident?
Dial 9-1-1 and follow the tips below.

  • Be Patient: Wait for Police to Arrive

After dialing 9-1-1, wait for the police to arrive to create an accident report. Please note that most insurance companies require a report to file a claim.

  • Get Specific: Provide All Accident Details to the Arriving Officer

Information about the car accident should be given to the arriving officer. All car accidents should be reported, especially accidents involving injuries or significant property damage.

  • Clear the Road: Don't Block Traffic

Georgia State law requires that all vehicles be safely moved out of the roadway.

How do I obtain a car accident report?

The City of Atlanta has partnered with to allow motorists to obtain police reports. A fee will apply to access the online report and requires users to enter name, date of crash, road of occurrence and vehicle identification number. 

You can also contact APD Central Records Unit at 404-546-7461.  Please note that the reporting process may take up to five business days before becoming available.

Can I report a car accident if police are not called to the scene?

A personal report of accident can be completed if a law enforcement officer is not called to make a report. The report is for personal use and record keeping and should not be sent to the Atlanta Police Department. 

What should I do if my car is towed after an accident?

For information on how to release a vehicle that has been impounded by the Atlanta Police Department, call the APD Property Control Unit at 404-546-4330.

Who should I contact if I have a question about my accident report?

The APD Officer who wrote the report is the primary contact for questions. If you need assistance locating the reporting officer, contact APD Public Affairs at 404-546-6873.

Content Editor