Recruiting: Employee referral program procedures
Description:The City of Atlanta Police Department (APD) is always looking for good people to join our team and as an employee of the City of Atlanta, you can help. Research has shown, and our experience supports, that new hires that come into a company through employee referrals are excellent contributors, stay with the company longer and are a more cost-effective recruit.
That's where you come in! If you know someone who would be a good addition to the City of Atlanta Police Department and they meet the qualifications, it may be worth $500 if you refer them for employment, they are hired and graduate the Training Academy. We are also accepting referrals for Crime Scene Technicians and 9-1-1 Dispatcher candidates.
Refer candidates who meet the qualifications of these positions to APD Background and Recruiting using the Candidate Referral Form 267 (Applicants must complete Form 268. The referral bonus will be awarded in two installments. The first installment will be awarded once your referral has been hired. The second installment will be awarded once your candidate successfully graduates our Police Academy within 30 days of their graduation date. For Crime Scene Technicians and 9-1-1 Dispatcher referrals, the second installment will be awarded once your candidate successfully completes the one-year probationary period.
- Referral Eligibility: All City of Atlanta employees, except Human Resources Personnel, Training Academy personnel, Recruitment personnel and managers with hiring authority over the referred candidates, are eligible to refer candidates. Retired employees may be eligible to receive incentive provided submittal occurrence prior to status change with the department.
- The referral must represent the candidate's first contract with the Atlanta Police Department.
- To be eligible for an incentive, the referrals must first be submitted to APD Background and Recruiting and must include a Candidate Referral Form 267 (Applicants must complete Form 268 and a résumé or employment application.
- The referring employee must agree to have his/her name used for the introduction.
- The first employee to refer a candidate will be the only referring employee eligible for payment.
- Only candidates who meet the essential qualifications for the position will be considered.
- All candidates will be evaluated for employment consistent with Atlanta Police Department policies and procedures.
- All information regarding the hiring decision will remain strictly confidential.
- Any disputes or interpretations of the program will be handled through APD Background and Recruiting.
- All referral incentive payments will be paid in two installments. The first installment of $250 will be paid when the candidate has been hired. The second installment will be awarded once your candidate successfully graduates our Police Academy within 30 days of their graduation date. For the Crime Scene Technicians and 9-1-1 Dispatcher Referrals, the second installment of $250 will be paid within 30 days after your candidate has completed their one-year probationary period.
- All employee referral incentive payments will be paid approximately 30 days after your application has been received by APD Background and Recruiting Unit.
Downloads:Candidate Referral Form (Form 267)
Applicant Referral Questionnaire (Form 268)
City of Atlanta Police Department Referral Bonus Program
Why is the bonus important to APD?We have increased our 2016 hiring goal to 300 officers. The referral bonus will provide an incentive for all of our employees to actively recruit new candidates. We are looking to attract the best and brightest candidates for APD positions. APD personnel has the training and experience to identify the necessary core competencies to attract the type of candidates we would like to see in the City of Atlanta. Furthermore, our employees frequently engage the community on many fronts and this will encourage them to zero in on potential candidates and feature the benefits of joining our team.
What are the expected results/outcomes?The referral bonus will assist us in reaching our goal for 2016. The police department has a very extensive vetting process for the police officer's position. We usually only hire approximately 8 to 12 percent of the candidates who show interest in becoming an Atlanta Police Officer. We expect to increase the number of candidates for this position. We also believe that our employees will likely seek out candidates who are suitable for the position and in return, we hope that it will lead to an increase in the quality of potential candidates looking to join APD.
What is the strategy and what are the benefits associated with referral bonus?The benefits of having trained and experienced employees to assist with recruiting will provide better-qualified applicants. We believe the referral program will provide a larger pool of candidates who are more likely to make it through the process than the smaller percentage we have seen in the past. The strategy will be to provide our employees with talking points as a reference when engaging applicants. We will ensure all employees are well informed of the referral bonus program and provide them with the guidelines needed to actively engage prospective candidates. The APD Recruitment Unit will actively track program referrals to ensure that the expected goals and outcomes are being met.
Who is eligible to receive the referral bonus?The referral bonus will be open to ALL City of Atlanta employees except Human Resources Personnel, Training Academy personnel, Recruitment personnel and managers with hiring authority over the referred candidates. Retired employees may be eligible to receive incentives provided submittal occurrence prior to status change with the department.
Which positions within APD does the referral refer to?
- Police Recruits
- Crime Scene Technicians
- 9-1-1 Dispatchers