The Major Crimes Section is primarily responsible for the follow-up investigation of crimes and consists of the following units:
- The Homicide Unit investigates homicides, cold case homicides, kidnappings, police-involved shootings, deaths in custody, and all other death investigations.
- The General Investigations Unit is responsible for the preliminary investigation of crimes against persons and property, except homicide and sexual assault, during the morning watch hours.
- The Missing Persons Unit investigates all adult missing persons.
- The Special Victims Unit investigates rape and other sexual assaults, cases of child exploitation, child abuse, missing juveniles and child neglect.
- The Fugitive Unit assists the entire Department in locating and apprehending violent and/or serial offenders who have outstanding warrants. The Atlanta Police Department Fugitive Unit also participates in the following federal task forces
- The U. S. Marshal's South East Regional Fugitive Task Force (SERFTF) which consists of Atlanta Police Department officers and investigators and investigators from other State and Federal agencies in the Atlanta metropolitan area who assist in locating wanted persons.
- The FBI's Atlanta Metropolitan Major Offenders (AMMO) Task Force consists of Atlanta Police Department investigators and agents of the FBI that are connected throughout the US with other local agencies that participate in the AMMO Task Force
- The Central Investigations Unit is primarily responsible for follow-up investigation with the following units.
- Commercial Robbery Unit investigates robberies of commercial or retail businesses.
- The Auto Theft Task Force is a tactical and investigative unit that targets the theft of vehicles and their recovery.
- The Major Fraud Unit investigates forgery, identity theft, fraud, credit or check transactions, and embezzlement.
- The Pawn Desk assists officers and investigators throughout the Department in locating stolen property and identifying offenders.
- The School Detectives Unit provides crime prevention, law enforcement, and related services for the Atlanta Public Schools System.
Major Crimes Phone List
Major Crimes Section
Major Fraud Unit
Atlanta Police Department
Major Crimes Section
226 Peachtree St SW
Atlanta, Ga 30303